A scar is left behind after the skin heals from an injury or surgery. For some, a scar may be a significant and disfiguring cosmetic concern. Dr. Madnani addresses these concerns through scar revision procedures that reduce the appearance of a scar for a more pleasing aesthetic result.
Who is it For?
There are a variety of scars Dr. Madnani can address through scar revision procedures:
- Hypertrophic Scars – raised, discolored scars resulting from an overly aggressive healing process
- Acne Scars – these pit-like scars can be deep or shallow, and sometimes appear in a wavelike formation
- Keloid Scars – similar to hypertrophic scars, keloid scars often extend beyond the boundaries of the original injury to create a much larger scar
- Contractures – occurring as a result of skin loss, these scars often appear as a tight area of skin that can even affect movement of some muscles in the area
Different treatments are available for the various scars listed to ensure the best possible results from a scar revision procedure. Dr. Madnani will make a careful assessment of the scar and surrounding tissue before recommending the best treatment for your specific needs.
How does it Work?
Options in scar revision include:
- Injectable fillers may be used to improve the appearance of concave scars that result in depressions in the skin
- Steroid injections reduce itching and redness associated with keloid scars and soften and shrink scars that have become hard
- Skin resurfacing procedures like chemical peels, microdermabrasion and laser resurfacing remove outer skin layers, as well as the visible effects of scarring
- Surgical procedures, known as excisions, may be used to remove the scar from the skin, resulting in a much smaller, less visible scar
- Skin grafts may be recommended for larger scars, which involve taking healthy skin from one area (often behind the ear) and replacing the scar with the new healthy skin
These procedures are typically performed by Dr. Madnani in his office, using topical numbing cream or local anesthetic. The procedure often takes less than an hour to complete and patients return home the same day. Depending on the procedure performed, patients may be able to return to regular activities as soon as treatment is complete.
What are Results Like?
Results of a scar revision procedure may be evident right away, but many continue to improve over time as the skin heals completely. Surgical scar revision is considered a permanent means to reducing the appearance of the scar. However, other procedures, like microdermabrasion or injectable fillers, may need to be repeated periodically to maintain desired results.
Dr. Madnani offers a variety of scar revision procedures, so he can customize treatment to the specific type of scar and the desired outcome of his patient. To learn more about scar revision options, contact Dr. Madnani’s office at 212-203-8591.